Thursday, January 14, 2010

Another Missionary has Joined the Force

Just a quick update on my family's comings and goings:
My little brother, Jens, (who is 6 inches taller than me but none the less my little brother) just reported to the Provo Missionary Training Center yesterday (Wednesday) to begin his 2 year mission. Since he is going to Curitiba, Brasil, he would have usually gone to the MTC in Brasil but because of visa delays, he went to Provo MTC first. Matt and I wanted to wave him goodbye at the airport so we met at my parent's home at 4:30 AM so that we could get him there with enough time to make his 6:00 AM flight. That morning came so early. My mother flew with him (she could not bare to just send him off on his own just yet) and so we all piled into the car all DARK and early and went to the deserted San Jose Airport. After finding a open spot on the curb we pulled over and gave him our last hugs. Then we sent him off toting 2 large rolling suitcases and one carry on bag as he headed toward the check in counter. All of his life for the next 2 years packed into those three bags.
I was expecting to be a crying mess as I saw him walk away but surprisingly, I only got wet eyes and no tears fell. Maybe it was the way that he just gave us all hugs, turned around and started walking, confidently and with a slight spring in his step, toward the doors. He was excited and happy and so I felt the same for him.
Jens has been such a great example to me and my family as well as all of his friends over the years and I know that he will be a great missionary for the next 2 years of his life as he serves the people of Curitiba, Brasil. Love you Jens-y Babe!

No comments:

Post a Comment