On this day, we traveled around with President Walton as he did his interviews with the missionaries in a few different cities. The first stop was Viana de Castelo, the home of the best bolo's in all of Portugal (according to the missionaries and mom and dad).
.

Mom and Callie in the Bolo shop buying hot bolos for us :)
.
Mom, Matt, Kelly, Tess and Callie in the main square of Viana de Castelo eating bolos.
.
Danielle and Matt in the town square. It was all decorated for a medieval festival with roasting pigs, falconers with their falcons, bread stands, and other medieval wares. It was so fun to enjoy this city with the locals.
.
Tess (and her pouty face), Kelly and Callie in front of one of the churches in the town. Beautiful architecture.
.

This is the castle at Guimaraes, and Callie and Matt. She was so excited to see another princess castle!
.

Mom, Matt, Callie, Tessa and Kelly in front of the castle in Guimaraes. (Beware, this castle is a lot older and much less restored than the last castle we visited.)
.
Stopping on one of the HUGE boulders from which the castle is built for a goofy picture:)
.
On the steps of the castle to walk around the interior. We were all a little scared with the littles ones, so Tess was always carried and Callie had to hold someone's hand. It was a long drop to the rocky central area below and we did not take any chances with so many people around. Callie was pulling everyone's arm to go faster!
.
One of the guard towers where Tess, Danielle, Mom, Kelly and Callie are standing. I like this picture because you get an idea of the size of this castle and get to see the beautiful green mountains of northern Portugal in the background.
.
Matt and Dani atop the castle keep.
.

Callie and Matt danced on this boulder before finally posing for a picture. Such a cool old castle! Very different from the first one we visited but I kind of liked the roughness of everything.
.
Tessa and Callie posing for yet another picture, this time in an alcove in the church where (supposedly) the first king of Portugal, Alfonso I, was Christened in 1109.
.
Two adorable girls! I couldn't help myself!
.
One adorable family.
.

This was hilarious! Once down in the city of Guimaraes and she was finally put down to walk on her own, Tess put her hands behind her back and strolled around the square! She was so serious as she did it too, like she was an old man taking an evening stroll. Such an amazing little girl.
Danielle, what great adventures, thanks for sharing. It's amazing that you get to have such wonderful experiences in such a beautiful country. I think that you might be a little baby-happy with that camera! Just kidding, it's great to see how close everyone is and what a great family you are. All my love!
ReplyDeleteI just looked at all your Portugal pictures.. I am so glad you documented your trips so well!! You look like you had such a great time, and the country looks so beautiful!And I'm also glad I know where to get good bolos now.. (don't know what they are, but I am a friend of all good pastries). February cannot come soon enough :)
ReplyDelete