Back to Portugal. We traveled south of Porto to visit several pretty neat sites beginning with the Roman ruins at Conimbriga. Here there are very clear and well preserved signs of civilian life during reign of the Roman Empire. There are massive homes (the largest of which was 32,000 square feet) and fountains and the main attraction, mosaic floors.
.
Beautiful mosaic floors and all very different from room to room. The bright colors were amazing to see as well.
.
Callie showing off her muscles by some Roman columns.
.

Callie was running towards Matt and myself in this picture and her face was pure joy. I am so sad that my auto focus ended up focusing on the ramp instead of on her sweet face :( A sad reminder that I need to be more careful when I am taking pictures of the girls but it was adorable anyways so enjoy it:)
.
Callie and Matt "sword fighting" with our umbrellas in the Roman forum in Conimbriga.
.
Just the the sword fight came to an end, we began walking back towards the main ruins and the sky opened up with a fury! We all got soaked and Callie had her umbrella flip inside out as she ran! We ran and laughed all the way to the covered ruins to escape the rain.
.

I will let this picture talk for itself :)
.
This is the way to travel! Tess knows how to enjoy a walking trip around Coimbra Baixu (historic downtown Coimbra).
.
Trying out bolos in Coimbra Baixu. The best bolos are sold in another town but we wanted to have something to compare them too. These did not make the cut but were still pretty good and I loved Callie's face, ready to devour that thing!
.

Tess and Callie exploring the rock collection in the historic Coimbra University courtyard. This university has been in use since around the year 1300 and is one of the oldest universities in the world!
.

To end the day, Tessa enjoyed chilling in an alcove on the Coimbra University campus. These girls are great travelers and were happy most of the time :)
Your little nieces are so adorable! And it looks like it was so much fun! And loving food like I do, maybe I can find a recipe for a bolo...
ReplyDelete