So Matt is out of town for work, I am home after a morning of swim lessons and lifeguarding and enjoying a quiet moment while reading the newspaper when I hear a "pop, pop, pop, POP" in the front yard. I think it could be some kids playing with firecrackers or something but it turns out that it was much bigger than that....
.
The tree in our front yard decided to lighten its load and shade off a branch or two (but more like six) and then drop them right on our mailbox. Lovely.
.

The carnage. Luckily Becky and Ryan had left on Sunday night or their van would have been a part of this mess. And luckily no one else had decided to park there that day either!
.

I pulled the poor mailbox from the beneath the branches but knew it was too late to save it when I saw a portion of the base of the mailbox still attached to the post on which it stands. Oh well.
Now, three days later, the branches are chopped up (thanks to Mark and Jeremy) and hauled away (thanks to Kyle, Peter and Jose). And a new mailbox is on its way and will be here Monday.
A nice little adventure in homeownership for me.
.
And as my grandma said, "The bad things always happened when Dale was out of town." Well I guess I know what she means now :)
Eek! What your grandma said is SOOO true! Those things always happen when our hubbys are out of town. Right after Sam left for England last year, a bunch of our apartments flooded at 11 at night..no fun!! Glad it is all repaired though! Sorry dear!
ReplyDeleteSorry I wasn't there to help either! That looks intense! What does the tree look like now?
ReplyDeleteI'm sorry about the tree and the mailbox casualty! I'm glad no one was hurt but that seems like quite an ordeal!
ReplyDeleteShoot! I wish our car had been smooshed so we'd have to get a new one! :)
ReplyDeleteI was thinking the same thing! How is that van running? I am guessing that it made it to Yosemite and back to Medford ok. I loved seeing the Yosemite pictures that you put on your blog! Looked like fun!
ReplyDelete