Monday, April 30, 2012

Something I Cannot Forget...

I am working late... again and as I am inputting my student's book orders for this month (yes, it is the last day of the month) I came across a book that promised many hands-on activities to teach Literary Elements. At first I was intrigued. Something different and new to add to my collection of teaching books, and then I read the blurb and got all I needed to from these few sentences!

"Activities like Setting Pop-ups, Paper-Chain Characters, Plot Mini-Book, and Theme in a Bottle help students learn by doing....."

All fine and good but I stopped at the "Paper-Chain Characters" and I got an idea that I don't want to forget and since I will forget it if it is not on Pinterest or my Blog, here it is.

Paper- Chain Complex Characters- Students build a paper chain by first starting with the character's name. Then, as they think of adjectives to describe their character (or themselves, maybe as a beginning of the year activity) the chain gets progressively longer and longer and thus, more complex! How visual and cool is that?! I may even try it with my class this year to try it out before trying it next year. We will see.

Well, there it is. My idea that I cannot forget! I will post pictures if I try it with my kiddos this year.





No comments:

Post a Comment