Friday, March 26, 2010

Winter Garden

Last September I thought it would cool to grow a winter garden. I had heard that you could grow lettuce, carrots, broccoli and even snap peas at that time of year. So I tried it out. I started the seeds in their own little cups and then transplanted them into the garden beds once they were a little bigger. But if you read the back of seed packets carefully, you will realize that if you want to plant carrots or lettuce or anything that starts from a very small seed, then you will need to sow it right into the ground. I did NOT read the back of the packet passed the information about how deep to plant the seeds so I ended up with no carrot sprouts and little lettuce sprouts that died once they were transplanted. That left me with one meager little broccoli sprout and a couple of snap pea sprouts. After setting the seedlings up with their tomato cages for support to grow, I stepped back and let the peas do their thing.
Nothing happened for a couple of months. In January, I checked on the peas again to find that they had grown above and beyond the tomato cages and were beginning of fall over! Matt saved the day with a makeshift support made out of a scrap section of PVC pipe. A few flowers had also begun to show themselves. February flew by and left us in March. I had not checked the plants for a whole month and when I did, I found the snap pea plants even bigger than before and a few pea pods! I greedily picked the 11 full pods that I could find and helped support the growing plants with some string to keep them from tipping all the way to the ground. A week or so later, I picked a few more peas and made a contribution to my friend's stir fry for Sunday dinner. Then, yesterday, I went outside to my little garden to pick a few more peas.
Although it may not look like much, this is a strainer is full of 41 freshly picked sugar snap peas! Yummy! I used these for a salad for Sunday dinner. I figure that I have saved at least $10 just by growing AND using my snap peas that I grew in the garden! I would call that a success :)

2 comments:

  1. Haha I swear that dirt at your house is magic. I have always been amazed at what Aunt Liz could grow there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! Your story made me laugh out loud for some reason... how you didn't read the packet, thought you had failed, but then ended up being a huge success:) Way to go!

    ReplyDelete